Reply To: We must choose to be lovers of the wild or not. What say you?

HOME Forums We must choose to be lovers of the wild or not. What say you? We must choose to be lovers of the wild or not. What say you? Reply To: We must choose to be lovers of the wild or not. What say you?

Lee

I am very pleased with the new web site. The possibilities for it are many.

As for the question, some of my love for wild came from my attempts to imitate the emancipation of the 1960s and 1970s. I wasn’t “there” to not remember those times, although I was awakened harshly in April and May 1970, by Vietnam-related events in both months. Bombs and Otherness come from our failures to be wild about our own species and to fantasize demons in place of people who are different.

“Nature” is similar: a “thing” to conquer because it makes us anxious, anxious about Death, our own death, and the meaning of our lives. Wildness is in part about facing these inner demons, this inner darkness, individually and as a species. Only then might we take our place among the wondrous and sometimes terrifying world around us that is the entire world of life and death.

And we might find the means to conquer some of our drives toward domination and power by looking closely within and without.

I’m glad to be part of the conversation.